[syslinux] syslinux installation issues

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Sun Nov 8 09:34:07 PST 2009

I've recently returned to working on FreeDOS again after quite some
time, and read about an unmerged MEMDISK branch that allows to boot
DOS-based ISOs. This seemed quite usefull to me as it allows for faster
modifications to my code/scripts/disklayout.
The general idea was to install Syslinux 3.83 to harddisk, then add the
modified Memdisk from that boot-land forum, as well as my ISO. In the
end this turned out to be working fine.

However, getting recent (3.83) 'syslinux.com ' DOS program to perform a
succesfull SYSLINUX C: was a horrible nightmare in VMware Workstation
64bit under Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I kept getting a 'syslinux sector
reading error' message all the time. Situation was solved by getting a
MSDOS 6.22 bootdisk from bootdisk.com, then performing Fdisk and Format
in my virtual machine (FAT16 thus) to get a full 1GB harddisk with a
single 1GB primary FAT16 partition, then 'syslinux.com c:' (syslinux
2.11) then again 'syslinux.com C:' (syslinux 3.83). After that I added
the remainder of the files (memdisk, my iso, and syslinux.cfg) to get
into a working state.

Is there anything that can be done to get syslinux.com (maybe the .exe
was already fixed?) working better without giving me the sector reading
error message?. I'd imagine SYSLINUX C: would always work as long as C:
is a primary partition and actually formatted.

Bernd