[syslinux] syslinux installation issues

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Sun Nov 8 10:55:16 PST 2009

Op 8-11-2009 19:21, Miller, Shao schreef:
> Which OS was running when you performed the "SYSLINUX.COM C:" which
> failed with a sector read error?

Whichever DOS I could get my hands on, starting with FreeDOS (kernel
2039), then Win98 bootdisk (gave me disk locking error, not even LOCK C:
helped), then MSDOS 6.22 bootdisk. Started with syslinux 3.83, then
4.00alpha6 (or was it beta?), then 3.00 then 2.11.
I'm still not sure if I only need SYSLINUX.COM or also
LDLINUX.SYS/LDLINUX.BIN in a directory whenever doing SYSLINUX C: To be
sure I had all 3 files, though I suspect the syslinux.com might have the
ldlinux.sys binary inside.
If the binary isn't inside syslinux.com, I'm wondering if I can mix old
syslinux.com (from 2.11) with recent ldlinux.sys (from 3.83).

As syslinux 2.11 didn't support fat32 yet I decided to go for MSDOS6.22
bootdisk, booted from it, performed FDISK, then FORMAT C: (without
transferring system files) after reboot (as FDISK insists on it to make
new partition visible to DOS/BIOS), then right away SYSLINUX C: from
2.11 then same from 3.83. I might be able to work my way up from here to
see what's happening, but prefer to keep current working situation
rather than go experiment with fat32 etc. However if you got any testing
recommendations or updated binaries I'm more than willing to create a
new virtual machine and test the changes, see if things work better.