[syslinux] syslinux installation issues

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Tue Nov 10 10:15:16 PST 2009

Op 10-11-2009 8:17, H. Peter Anvin schreef:

> syslinux.com is for DOS-based operating systems only.
>
> syslinux.exe is for NT-based operating systems.

All good and well, but that doesn't help me. syslinux.exe (win32) will
not be able to write itself to C: (single harddisk, single full-capacity
primary partition) under ReactOS (tried, failed) or Windows due to
limited hardware access I guess.
Syslinux.com is the program which gives the 'sector read error' and I'm
failing to understand why I get this error on recent Syslinux versions
when booting from cdrom or floppy, then executing syslinux.com c: on fat32.
Don't get me wrong, for my purposes FAT16 is fine, but I'd dislike being
forced to limitations like first checking for fat16, then downloading
syslinux 2.11 (if at all, ancient Wget DOS-port and your '/OLD/'
directory on kernel.org only end up in 'moved' messages),
then installing that followed by same procedure for recent Syslinux.
Would be more generic to not get any 'sector read error', no matter what
kind of FAT-formatted partition C: would be (primary, logical, fat16,
fat32).