[syslinux] syslinux installation issues

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Nov 11 00:04:40 PST 2009

On 11/10/2009 10:15 AM, Bernd Blaauw wrote:

> All good and well, but that doesn't help me. syslinux.exe (win32) will
> not be able to write itself to C: (single harddisk, single full-capacity
> primary partition) under ReactOS (tried, failed) or Windows due to
> limited hardware access I guess.
> Syslinux.com is the program which gives the 'sector read error' and I'm
> failing to understand why I get this error on recent Syslinux versions
> when booting from cdrom or floppy, then executing syslinux.com c: on fat32.
> Don't get me wrong, for my purposes FAT16 is fine, but I'd dislike being
> forced to limitations like first checking for fat16, then downloading
> syslinux 2.11 (if at all, ancient Wget DOS-port and your '/OLD/'
> directory on kernel.org only end up in 'moved' messages),
> then installing that followed by same procedure for recent Syslinux.
> Would be more generic to not get any 'sector read error', no matter what
> kind of FAT-formatted partition C: would be (primary, logical, fat16,
> fat32).

OK, I went back and banged my head against the Win9x/WinME
almost-completely-undocumented disk locking API again, and I think I got
something working that works both in DOS mode and in Windows mode, at
least on WinME (which is what I have working in a VM at the moment.)

I pushed it out as syslinux-3.84-pre1 together with HDT 0.3.5.