[syslinux] menu.c32 selection bar visibility on serial console

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Wed Nov 11 06:51:53 PST 2009

Stillwell, Bryan wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 08:34 +0000, Jodok Ole Muellers wrote:
> > Is there any way to make the selection bar visible on a serial console ?
> > E.g. by putting a "*" in front front of the selected item, or
> enclose the > selected item with < less-than,greater-than ?
>
> I implemented a network install system for my group at HP with pxelinux
> and we would also like such a feature.  Currently we can tell which item
> is selected by watching the cursor update the screen, but using a symbol
> to identify the current selection would be great!

How exactly are you folks interfacing over serial again?  For HP iLO
Virtual Serial Port, how are you seeing anything at all?  I didn't see a
SERIAL directive used in the sample menu.c32 config-file.  There are
some interesting options for the HP virtual serial stuff.  I wonder if
you are choosing console redirection in BIOS setup?  You might try
disabling that and using the SERIAL directive for your Syslinux
boot-loader, instead.  You won't be able to see anything until the
boot-loader is started, mind you.  See syslinux/doc/syslinux.txt for
details on the SERIAL directive.

On my HP ProLiant ML370 G6,
System Options -> Serial Port Options -> Virtual Serial Port (this is
fine, but)
BIOS Serial Console -> BIOS Serial Console Port : Disabled

Know what I mean?

- Shao Miller