[syslinux] menu.c32 selection bar visibility on serial console

Jodok Ole Muellers muellejo at aschendorff.de
Wed Nov 11 07:22:56 PST 2009

Hi,

> How exactly are you folks interfacing over serial again?
> For HP iLO  Virtual Serial Port, how are you seeing anything at all?

The setup (i reach it with F9 during boot),
allows to enable virtual serial port and also set baud rate etc.
On https://Your-ILO-IP/ there are also some settings to enable serial output.

I see very much the same on the serial console as on the normal VGA display
during startup, that means even all the Array, Bios, NIC messages.

But I am talking about the Virtual Serial Port not about the physical serial port.
I run "ssh Administrator at my-ilo-ip" and then "VSP" for virtual serial port.

There is an option like "SERIAL 1 115200 0x303"
but serial output also works for me without it.
This is how my pxelinux.cfg/default looks like:

DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 6000
CONSOLE 1

MENU TITLE Main
MENU SEPARATOR
MENU NOTABMSG

LABEL   3
        MENU LABEL Redhat -->
        MENU INDENT 2
        KERNEL menu.c32
        APPEND pxelinux.cfg/redhat.menu

> On my HP ProLiant ML370 G6,
> System Options -> Serial Port Options -> Virtual Serial Port (this is
> fine, but)
> BIOS Serial Console -> BIOS Serial Console Port : Disabled
>
> Know what I mean?

No, not exactly ;-)

Jodok