[syslinux] menu.c32 selection bar visibility on serial console

Jodok Ole Muellers muellejo at aschendorff.de
Wed Nov 11 09:50:11 PST 2009

Hi Shao,

I don't want/need ANSI colors on the serial console.
I just need a ASCII character to indicate which line is selected in menu.c32

> Be sure to align the SERIAL option with the HP VSP.
I think this is an deprecated command not supported by newer ILOs ?

> It would appear to me that HP's console-redirection-over-serial feature
> actually strips ANSI out.

Yes, looks like that.

> Since you are relying on the console
> redirection in your scenario, you don't get Syslinux ANSI benefits.

Well, actually I want both, a nice ANSI menu on VGA
and an simple ASCII menu on the serial port.
menu.c32 almost does this.

Example how it looks on the serial console:

      |                          Main                            |
      | Boot from Harddisk (C:)                                  |
      | WDS - Windows Deployment Services                        |
      |   Debian -->                                             |
      |   Redhat -->                                             |
      |   Ubuntu -->                                             |
      |   Other -->                                              |
      | EXIT/Abort PXE                                           |

Just an e.g. ">" is missing in front of the selected item
to indicate where I am in the menu, could look like this (redhat selected):