[syslinux] Trying to multiboot bartpe & puppy linux on a usb flash with syslinux

Mr. X tlviewer at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 14 19:07:51 PST 2009

--- On Sat, 11/14/09, Mr. X <tlviewer at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Mr. X <tlviewer at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [syslinux] Trying to multiboot bartpe & puppy linux on a usb flash with syslinux
> To: syslinux at zytor.com
> Date: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 6:46 PM
> Hey list,
>
> I have an older 2005 Uniwill 259ia3 with a Phoenix bios.
>
> Flash booting is limited to keys 512 MB or less!
>
> Here's my setup recipe:
>
> used the HP utility v. 2.0.6 giving me this geometry
> ---------------- fdisk -l -----------
> Disk /dev/sdb: 493 MB, 493879296 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot
> Start         End
>   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sdb1   *
>    1
> 61      482272+   e  W95
> FAT16 (LBA)
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
>      phys=(59, 254, 63) logical=(60,
> 11, 15)
> ------------------- unsnip -----------------
>
> I copied over the 5 bartpe files known to work on another
> flashkey.
> I include the bootsector, pe2usb.bin, renamed as
> pe2usb.bss, planning later
> to chain boot with syslinux.
>
> This works as-is and boots into bartpe.
>
> Next I mount the puppy iso and copy over the isolinux
> setup. Then I change
> isolinux.cfg to syslinux.cfg, edit, and add these lines for
> bartpe
>
> ------------- bartpe boot ---------
> label bartpe
> bss pe2usb.bss
> append -

I left out the most important part:
#syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

$ rpm -q syslinux
syslinux-3.63-1.el5.rf

I also tried writing the pe2usb.bss bootsector to the device, then calling syslinux again. The results are the same across all 5 machines. The Uniwill still won't multiboot both - only puppy works.

--
Mark