[syslinux] Trying to multiboot bartpe & puppy linux on a usb flash with syslinux

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Sun Nov 15 02:56:27 PST 2009

On Sunday, November 15, 2009, 11:31:03, Geert Stappers wrote:

> On the succesfull machine, how was the USB pendrive partitioned
> and how was it formated?

I've got 3 pendrives, IIRC I never reformatted the 16GB one, and I
used HP's tool for the 8GB one, and Vista's format for the 32GB one.

I also experimented with the ZIP drive geometry, but I had less
success with that (syslinux would start with CBIOS written in it's
welcome line, and couldn't read any files on the pendrive, since the
partition was larger than 1023 cylinders).

> Which version of Syslinux was used?

IIRC, I was using 3.80 with the boot sectors, while nowadays I have
3.82 on the pendrives.

> ( and for the sake of complete overviews: On which operating system?)

I used Windows to install syslinux to the 32GB pendrive, Linux for the
8GB one, and I don't remember what I used for the 16GB key.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

Any simple idea must be worded in the most complicated way.
       -- Attorneys Operating Principle