[syslinux] Append boot device to /proc/cmdline

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Nov 30 21:14:59 PST 2009

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> The only way to really deal with that kind of stuff is by using
> content-based identification, rather than device-based.

Agreed.  If Parted Magic has a different signature or other content
magic for each version, then the OS can scan for this.  If the person
has "eleventy billion" drives, with eight drives filled with the same
version of Parted Magic, then it doesn't matter which of those eight are
used to continue loading Parted Magic dependencies, I would hope.

Bernd Blaauw wrote:
> It then shows last-used-bootloader-ID, which would be Isolinux, which
> then incorrectly implies you booted from physical CD (and thus are in
> trouble as CD drivers won't find any device, nor scripts will find the
> remainder of files on a disc in physical CD drive).
Yes.  A Linux driver for MEMDISK would certainly be nice to have.
Perhaps someday.

Patrick Verner wrote:
> When isolinux is the boot loader APPEND the file system type to
> /proc/cmdline.
> If syslinux is used, simply apply the size of the device to /proc/cmdline.
Users and kernels loaded by one of the Syslinux suite might not want
this.  I'd suggest that this extra functionality be implemented via a
COM32 module, if needed.  linux.c[32] could be used for reference, perhaps.

- Shao Miller