[syslinux] memdisk: not enough memory

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Oct 5 13:03:36 PDT 2009

Good day Helmut,

You wrote about MEMDISK not using RAM to emulate a BIOS drive.

I believe that you are referring to mapping a contiguous range of
sectors on some BIOS drive 0xXX to an emulated drive 0xYY.  This is
something that I would like to see, too.

Under an OS such as Linux or Windows, you'd need some way to perform
this mapping again once the OS is loaded, since these OSs do not use the
BIOS INTerrupts that MEMDISK establishes.  Fortunately, Linux has
'losetup' & 'dmsetup' (device-mapper) and Windows has 'filedisk' (and
others).

Mapping in this way is not implemented in MEMDISK nor in "MEMDISK-ISO"
at this time.  But such a "MAPDISK" is possible. :)

What underlying media would you want your DVD .ISO files to sit on, just
out of curiosity?  An HDD?

- Shao Miller