[syslinux] memdisk: not enough memory

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Tue Oct 6 02:51:00 PDT 2009

Hallo, Kim,

Du meintest am 05.10.09:

>> My main machine (PXE/tftpboot) now contains (among other stuff) about
>> 20 DVD *.isos of several distributions.  I'm testing them on several
>> other machines, and it's ugly to find the real DVDs among all the
>> other crap in my playground.

> If you are lucky, you have some distributions that can be found at
> boot.kernel.org. They have made modified initrds which supports
> httpfs, so the files inside the iso can be accessed over a http
> connection. So if you setup a HTTP server, which serves those iso's,
> you are settled.

Ok -

        http://httpfs.sourceforge.net/index.htm
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/httpfs/files/

gives "httpfs" (compiled); I've put it to "/usr/local/bin".

It works on my machine (slackware-current); most bigger distributions
seem to include the "fuse" packet which includes "fusermount".

I can mount (p.e.) "dsl.iso" with

   httpfs http://127.0.0.1/iso/dsl.iso /mnt/iso

Then "dsl.iso" seems to be part of the mounting machine, like a CD/DVD.
One next step might be

        mount -o loop /mnt/iso/dsl.iso <somewhere>

But how can syslinux/isolinux/pxelinux use this way?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut