[syslinux] Antw: Re: merging lua branch

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Oct 7 13:39:37 PDT 2009

On 10/07/2009 10:51 AM, Erwan wrote:
> Marcel Ritter wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> The real question is if the lua branch is ready enough to be useful to
>>> anyone.
>>>
>> [...]
>> Lua is only as useful as the library functions provided with it.
>> There's a couple of .c32 modules with library functions that'd
>> make a nice start if ported to lua.
>>
>> I'd like to see lua included in mainline syslinux: it's been there in a
>> (mostly unknown) git branch for quite some time now, and I hope
>> releasing it to a wider public will increase its user base and speed
>> up development.
>>

> I'm backing that position. We've been expecting the lua feature for a
> long time and starting playing with it would be nice.
> It could be nice to see use cases and tracking bugs in it.

I would agree.  However, at the current time I'm already overloaded with
the C rewrite projects -- so realistically, if people are expecting me
to make forward progress on the lua branch it just won't happen.

However, the Lua work should be a nicely self-contained project for
anyone who wants to work on it (as already evidenced by the fact that I
didn't do the Lua port in the first place), so if anyone has the cycles
to work on it, please do so.

I'm willing to merge Lua into mainline as soon as there is a real-life
usecase for it.