[syslinux] Syslinux roadmap, revised

Erwan Velu erwan at seanodes.com
Fri Oct 16 01:52:06 PDT 2009

H. Peter Anvin a écrit :

[...]
> As such, I'm looking at revising the roadmap, and I'm partly asking for
> input what it should look like.  One possibility is:
>
> Syslinux 4 - Filesystems in C, COM32R, basic interfaces to support
> Gfxboot as COM16.
>
> Syslinux 5 - ELF linker, native TCP for PXELINUX, no COM16 support.
>
> Syslinux 6 (or 5.something) - EFI support.
>
> I'd like to get people's feel for the timeframes they care about these
> features for...

Hey Peter,

That roadmap is very interesting to read. I was just wondering if we
could add LUA somewhere.
LUA will allow interesting features as "hardware related booting". Maybe
we can add it in Syslinux 5 not to load too much syslinux 4.

I'm backing you in delaying the com16 deletion. That will give more time
to adapt gfxboot and existing modules.

I can't hide my happiness to see the Lwip incoming in Syslinux 5. HDT
will have the benfits of it to export reports ;)

About the timeframe, on my side, I don't really care about it. That's a
free software, no one get paid for doing it.
That said, having this kind of roadmap is nice as it give a realistic
list of content to achieve before releasing.

Cheers,