[syslinux] Antw: Testing Lua

Marcel Ritter Marcel.Ritter at rrze.uni-erlangen.de
Tue Oct 20 03:17:47 PDT 2009

<4ADCC807.6090700 at seanodes.com>:
> Hey Marcel,

Hi Erwan,

> I'm in the process to test your lua branch.
> I was wondering what is the current state of it.

You can pull the current state from here:

git pull git://linux.rrze.uni-erlangen.de/syslinux.git luaext

The current state is:

- VESA:
  - switching to vesa mode works
  - display text works
    (s. com32/lua/test/vesa.lua)

- PCI:
  - list PC devices + ID
  - get human-readable device name for device
   (s. com32/lua/test/pci.lua)

- DMI:
  - get DMI info (BIOS, Hardware, etc).
  (s. com32/lua/test/dmi.lua)

- syslinux:
  - start kernel, initrd, local boot
  ... just working on this, so no example lua file right now

> What are the implemented features you want us to try, what features are
> missing, what's a typical test case, etc...

The test cases I wrote about should be working, however I'm still struggling
with some internal issues of lua: type checking, and (something I have
no idea about right now:) garbage collection.

I'd also like to activate the floating point library of lua ... but I didn't have time
to take a closer look.

Next (planned) steps are:

- documentation:
  - I started some documentation in asciidoc (com32/lua/doc/syslinux.asc)
     but it's very basic right now
  - TODO:
      - (more) examples

- initramfs handling:
  - listing/adding files

- graphics library:
  - basic functions: setpixel, line, circle, ...
  - maybe sometime in the far future; support for more/all VESA modes

> This will help me, and maybe other, to understand where and how {I|we}
> can help you in having the lua code getting better/tested for a later
> integration.

Most of the test cases I can currently think of are implemented in the
sample lua files - so feel free to play with them, and drop me a line
if something does not work as expected.

> Cheers,
> Erwan

Cheers,