[syslinux] Syslinux roadmap, revised

Steffen Winterfeldt wfeldt at suse.de
Tue Oct 20 05:48:12 PDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> As such, I'm looking at revising the roadmap, and I'm partly asking for
> input what it should look like.  One possibility is:
>
> Syslinux 4 - Filesystems in C, COM32R, basic interfaces to support
> Gfxboot as COM16.
>
> Syslinux 5 - ELF linker, native TCP for PXELINUX, no COM16 support.
>
> Syslinux 6 (or 5.something) - EFI support.
>
> I'd like to get people's feel for the timeframes they care about these
> features for...

I've looked into it a bit and it looks like turning gfxboot into a com32
module (with the current api) is not a problem. It will need a big enough
low mem bounce buffer, though.

This should get us going until EFI (I hope to have the C-rewrite ready
then).

I'll get the com32 module a try and then report back.

Steffen