[syslinux] Syslinux roadmap, revised

Steffen Winterfeldt wfeldt at suse.de
Fri Oct 23 06:10:55 PDT 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On 10/22/2009 12:11 AM, Steffen Winterfeldt wrote:
>>
>> - I haven't looked everywhere but maybe is there already code that does
>> that
>> (setup & boot a loaded kernel & initrd)?
>>

> There is -- syslinux_boot_linux().

Yes, that was exactly what I was looking for.

>>> How big?
>>
>> Depends a bit on the gfxboot core code size. I'm using slightly less
>> than 60k at the moment, so the provided 64k are ok for now.
>
> What does the code in the bounce buffer do?  The problem remains if it needs
> to do filesystem calls.

I need a place to put the real mode code. Also, there seems to be no way to
call back into a com32 module; e.g. if I want to open & read a file from the
gfxboot side I can't use com32 code for that but have to make int 22h calls
directly. Something like libc signal()s, could do the trick, maybe.

Anyway, the module now does what it should.

Steffen

--
Das Nichtrauchen entfernt uns von der Zivilisation und setzt den Mann mit
seinem Dackel gleich. -- J. C.