[syslinux] gpxelinux questions

Doug Scoular dscoular at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 15:19:39 PDT 2009

Hi All,
I've been enjoying playing with gpxe and gpxelinux, however I have a
few questions that I'd love to get some answers for...

1) Will gpxelinux support chain loading of other NBPs without hanging
or is this already resolved ?

2) Why does gpxelinux take much longer than pxelinux to enumerate the
UUID, MAC address, then hex IP address chop ?

3) Can gpxelinux load gpxe scripts at all ?

4) How does gpxelinux really work, It looks like a gpxelinux is a
slightly modified version of gpxe which simply executes pxelinux.0 as
it's default gpxe script:

#!gpxe
dhcp net0
imgload pxelinux.0
boot pxelinux.0

Does pxelinux.0 detect that it's been invoked by gpxelinux.0 and
enable the HTTP, FTP, NFS, iSCSI and AOE code ?

Sorry for all the questions, but I couldn't find much info out there
on the wiki.

Any answers hugely appreciated, the more detail the better!

Cheers,

Doug