[syslinux] syslinux config file size

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Sep 7 09:11:07 PDT 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009, Apratyaksh joe wrote:

> Sorry if this has be discussed already, I have a syslinux config which
> is rather big [7000+ char] and I see that the menu system "menu.c32"
> shows only part of the menu configured.
>
> Also the last entry in the menu contains only half of the
> configuration. Is there a limit to the size of config file for the
> menu ?
>
> I tried to work around the problem by spliting the config file  and
> using the INCLUDE directive and it seems to work well. So looks more
> like a restriction of menu system to read only up to certain size.
>
> If someone knows the size limit , I can try to better optimize the
> splitting of config file.
>
> For reference syslinux version used is 3.82.

Hi Joe,

We are using a configuration that in total is 556K big with isolinux.

However what we do is we have a (more or less) static 7K isolinux.cfg that
includes 2 generated files, system.cfg and debug.cfg, both resp. 305K
and 240K in size and we don't have the issue you report.

Maybe there is a limit with eg. pxelinux, which is not present in
isolinux, or a limit is restricted only to the original syslinux.cfg (and
not to included files).

You may want to try for yourself and report back ? :)

Kind regards,