[syslinux] gpxelinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Sep 14 09:30:04 PDT 2009

On 09/13/2009 11:11 PM, Ohad Levy wrote:
> On 9/14/09, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>>
>>> in any case, about the trace, I'll provide some more info when I'm next
>>> to my lab setup, nevertheless, do you have any idea about how to solve
>>> the local boot issues (Where it works with pxelinux but doesn't with
>>> gpxelinux.0)?
>>
>> Certainly not with current data.
>
> What would be the right way to debug this? obviously this is not something I
> could tcpdump :(

There are a couple of ways to debug.

1. add printf() statements to chain.c32 -- this is probably the first
thing to do, since in your case you actually get errors from chain.c32
rather than a hang.  Try to find out what code path in chain.c32 raises
the error.

2. connect a debugger to your VM.  Most VM solutions have a way to
connect a debugger, much in the way you can connect a hardware debugging
pod to a CPU (but much cheaper.)

3. use the memdump.com program to do a memory dump... this is sometimes
useful to find problems, but probably of less value in this particular case.