[syslinux] Strange Boot-Process with help of memdisk

reg at krautmann.net reg at krautmann.net
Sat Sep 19 06:58:11 PDT 2009

Hi group,

I have a linux-system on a physical CD-ROM. I want to boot this CD-ROM
via PXE, because this linux-system doesnt support PXE native.

My idea was the following.

* Creating a 50MB Harddisk-Image with help of QEMU.
* Partitioning tis Harddisk-Image with FAT.
* Copyying all the files of the physical boot-CD to the virtual HD-Image
   (The physical boot-CD contains already a isolinux.bin file)
* Booting the virtual hd-image with help of PXE
* Starting the installation Process by the isolinux.bin file

Is this possible, because I think it is not possible to boot virtual
CD-ROMS by memdisk.

Thanks