[syslinux] Strange Boot-Process with help of memdisk

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Sun Sep 20 13:41:00 PDT 2009

Hallo, Miller,,

Du meintest am 20.09.09:

> Good day Helmut,

> MEMDISK-ISO should allow MEMDISK to work directly with the .ISO,

I've just compiled the packet you've announced.

The only explanation how to invoke "memdisk-iso" I've found was

"With this patch, users can now boot El Torito-bootable .ISO (CD/DVD)
 images.
 The user should specify "iso" on the kernel command-line."

Sorry - that's a bit too short for me!

Could you please give an example which contains a complete "image"/
"label" block?

> however, if the Linux distribution on that .ISO needs to access the
> contents of the .ISO after the kernel is booted, you will need a
> MEMDISK driver for Linux.  There is currently no such driver.  If the
> distro simply uses the initrd and everything is available there,
> you'll be fine.

Some of my machines have only 512 MByte RAM - could you name an *.iso
image which works (may be I need it only for testing).

Thank you!

By the way: some of my collegues actually want this option, p.e. for
booting "udpcast" and/or "clonezilla" via PXE. They would embrace you
(at least virtually) if/when "memdisk-iso" works as announced.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut