[syslinux] Strange Boot-Process with help of memdisk

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Mon Sep 21 09:35:00 PDT 2009

Hallo, Kim,

Du meintest am 20.09.09:

>> Could you please give an example which contains a complete "image"/
>> "label" block?

> The following code (new preferred syslinux syntax):

>   LINUX memdisk-iso
>   APPEND iso
>   INITRD /g4u.iso

> does the same as:

>   KERNEL memdisk-iso
>   APPEND iso initrd=/g4u.iso

> Working ISO's:
> - Parted Magic: http://partedmagic.com
> - G4U: http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/
> - Offline NT Password and Recovey Tool:
> http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/ - DBAN: http://www.dban.org/
> - 'all' dos based ISO's

Thank you!

I've mixed your ideas and Shaos ideas.

Nordahls CD-image works. "g4u" doesn't work.

"KERNEL memdisk" works.
"KERNEL memdisk-iso" doesn't work.

There is no file "memdisk-iso".

  APPEND iso
  INITRD iso/nordahl.iso

works,

  APPEND iso iso/nordahl.iso

doesn't work.

Messages:
boot: nordahl
MEMDISK 3.83 3.83 ...
MEMDISK: no ramdisk image specifies

I've put all *.iso images into a subdirectory "/tftpboot/iso" (and all
FD images into a subdir "/tftpboot/images").

I'm using "dnsmasq" with its integrated DHCP server.

Machines: Thinkpad T22 and T40, 512 MByte RAM.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut