[syslinux] Booting linux install on usb key using extlinux

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Sep 23 03:09:19 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 05:52:00PM -0600, Shocky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The examples for making a bootable usb key using extlinux just transfer a live
> cd to usb. To me, this misses the advantage of usb keys (other than size),
> that they are writable. I would like to have a full linux install on a usb
> key and be able to boot it using extlinux. This way I can install new
> packages and make other changes without jumping through squashfs hoops. Is
> there reason why this won't work? Any advice on how to configure extlinux to
> make this work?

That's nothing to do with extlinux. You can install standard distros
(Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.) in a USB pen, with their default boot loader.

You can then install extlinux over their bootloader, but you miss
automatic configuration updates for kernel upgrades.

You can even do a rsync or dd of an existing Linux system, change fstab
and re-create the initrd with USB modules, and then install extlinux or
the original bootloader.

--
lfr
0/0