[syslinux] Strange Boot-Process with help of memdisk

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Sep 28 05:47:08 PDT 2009

Good day Helmut,

-----Original Message-----
From: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] On
Behalf Of Helmut Hullen
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 12:38
To: syslinux at zytor.com
Subject: Re: [syslinux] Strange Boot-Process with help of memdisk

... ... ...

> By the way: it's a bit confusing copying the (perhaps)
> needed files from the compilation directories to "/tftpboot".
> Maybe a special subdirectory "tftp" next to "doc" and "dos"
> may help finding all I need. (I'm sure I have copied more
> than only the needed files ...)
-----

For a PXELINUX with MEMDISK setup, you need a TFTP server and two files
from the Syslinux build:
- syslinux/core/pxelinux.0
- syslinux/memdisk/memdisk

That's it.  If you want to, you can create a configuration file.
Perhaps you'd be interested in a menu system using menu.c32 or
vesamenu.c32.  Those are in syslinux/com32/modules/

So a sample directory structure for you might look like:

/tftpboot/pxelinux.0
/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default ( <- your config-file)
/tftpboot/menu.c32
/tftpboot/memdisk
/tftpboot/memdisk-iso (modified MEMDISK with El Torito emulation)

- Shao Miller