[syslinux] Bootable CD for booting of USB HDD

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 30 11:33:46 PDT 2009

Hi,

I bought a USB hard drive, got Mandriva installed on it, and made it bootable
with extlinux. Works great on machines that can boot from USB. I also created
a boot cd using the instructions in the wiki. This is working too.

The only problem with the boot cd is that I had to copy the kernel, initrd,
etc. to the cd. This means that whenever I install a new kernel I'll have to
create and burn a new cd image. Not so burdensome I can't live with it if
there's no better way.

But I'm wondering if there is a way to get the cd to tell the computer to boot
using the kernel on the usb drive. Is such a thing possible?

On a related note, it doesn't seem that isolinux can use the boot menu like
extlinux. At least I couldn't get it to work. Is this a limitation on booting
from cd or was I just doing something wrong again? I started by copying over
my working extlinux.conf to isolinux.cfg, along with the vesamenu.c32 file
that it references, but it seemed to ignore it.

Thanks,
Shocky
--
These are my opinions. Get your own.