[syslinux] Bootable CD for booting of USB HDD

Kim Mik kimmik999999 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 30 12:33:29 PDT 2009

> But I'm wondering if there is a way to get the cd to tell the computer to boot
> using the kernel on the usb drive. Is such a thing possible?

You can use PloP.

Features:
    * CD/DVD boot without BIOS support
    * USB boot without BIOS support (UHCI, OHCI and EHCI)
    * Floppy boot
    * Different profiles for operating systems
    * Define up to 16 partitions
    * No extra partition for the boot manager
    * Hidden boot, maybe you have a rescue system installed and the user should not see that there is another system installed
    * Boot countdown
    * Hide partitions
    * Password protection for the computer and the boot manager setup
    * Backup of partition table data
    * Textmode user interface 80x50
    * Graphic user interface 640x480, 800x600, 1024x786, 1280x1024
    * MBR partition table edit
    * Start of the boot manager from harddisk, floppy, USB, CD, DVD
    * Starting from Windows boot menu
    * Starting from LILO, GRUB, Syslinux, Isolinux, Pxelinux (network)
    * The boot manager is freeware

It is able to boot your USB hard drive, without BIOS support for USB booting.
If you just want to run Plop without installing it in the MBR, you can make a bootable CD by burning plpbt.iso.

If you want to add other files to the CD you can use the following in your isolinux.cfg:
==================
default plp
prompt 0

label plp
linux plpbt.bin

Plop bootmanager homepage:
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html

Link to the last test version (Plop v5.0.3 hangs on my PC):
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmngrusblog.html

Greetings,
Gert Hulselmans