[syslinux] installing latest rpm on RHEL

Danny Zeng Danny.Zeng at synopsys.com
Wed Apr 7 23:08:36 PDT 2010

Dag and Richard,

Thank you for point me to the right direction.

I chose to build RPMs on my systems, not because I don't trust you, but to make sure I know how to do this.

1. build and install nasm-2.03 or later, which is required by syslinux build
# cd /tmp
# wget http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.08.01/nasm-2.08.01.tar.bz2
# rpmbuild -ta nasm-2.08.01.tar.bz2
# rpm -Uhv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/nasm-*rpm

2. now build and install syslinux
# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-3.86.tar.gz
# rpmbuild -ta syslinux-3.86.tar.gz
# rpm -ihv /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/syslinux-tftpboot-3.86-1.i386.rpm

syslinux-3.86-1 reported conflict with a file from lilo. I know I do not use lilo so I removed it just to make sure all the RPMs I build can be installed.

Regards,
Danny