[syslinux] extlinux issue

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Wed Apr 7 23:56:47 PDT 2010

On Thursday, April 8, 2010, 4:02:24, Gene Cumm wrote:

> Your scenario reminds me something I have seen so I feel the need to
> ask the extremely obvious.  I've seen systems behave this exact way,
> stared at a blank screen, sometimes with a blinking cursor and it
> would frustrate me, only to find out that it had blank data in the MBR
> boot code.  Have you verified that it does have valid boot code in the
> MBR?  Using a hexeditor or something like hexdump can easily help to
> quickly see if it's got anything but 0's.  Any time I've initialized
> drives on any RAID controller, the resultant target disk seen from the
> OS is completely blank.

If you use extlinux, it's safe to simply do cat
/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/<your_disk> (don't remember what
exactly the cciss device name is, just make sure it's the drive
device, not a partition).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

In any household, junk accumulates to fill the space available for its storage.
       -- Boston's Irreversible Law of Clutter