[syslinux] Bug-report: Memdisk regression for XMGR DOS memory manager

Gert Hulselmans gerth at zytor.com
Wed Apr 14 13:35:12 PDT 2010

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 04/12/2010 09:17 PM, Geza Kovacs wrote:
>> On 04/10/2010 10:42 AM, Miller, Shao wrote:
>>> If indeed the "safeint" default is where MEMDISK broke for you, you
>>> might try some of the alternative modes available in
>>> syslinux/doc/memdisk.txt, such as:
>>>
>>> raw
>>> bigraw
>>> int
>>>
>>> on your APPEND line and see if one of them makes a difference.
>>>

>> Adding any of those 3 options fixes the issue on the 3.86 version.
>>

> Very odd... that's the first instance we've seen of "safeint" not
> working (and especially of "safeint" working and "int" working...)
>
> 	-hpa

This is not the first instance that "safeint" fails.
The FreeDOS image used by UBCD also fails with "safeint" on some PCs.
The image works fine in qemu and on some other PCs.
http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2009-March/011854.html

Adding "raw" allows me to boot the image correctly.
I didn't test "int" and "bigraw" back then.
Now I did try with "int" and "bigraw" (tested only "1 Boot UMBPCI (silent)"
menu option), and it works too (MEMDISK 3.85).

If it is really needed, I can test the other menu entries too.

You can download the 2.88MB floppy image (more recent) from here:
http://ubcd.stopspazzing.com/downloads/ubcd-dos/fdubcd.-1.36-2010-04-07.img.gz

Geza Kovacs, can you try this image? I am pretty sure that it will
fail for you, when you boot it with "safeint" (default MEMDISK mode).

- Gert Hulselmans