[syslinux] Having extlinux report the installed vesrion

Regid Ichira gl2n30y06arv2 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 18:04:49 PDT 2010

> Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:38:49 -0700
> From: hpa at zytor.com
> To: syslinux at zytor.com
> Subject: Re: [syslinux] Having extlinux report the installed vesrion
>
> On 04/15/2010 04:16 AM, Regid Ichira wrote:
>>
>> 1) With a running linux system, is there a switch to run extlinux with,
>> and read on the terminal the extlinux.sys version that is
>> installed?
>
> There isn't; it would not be a bad idea to add, though.

  Why?  I have a working extlinux.  I don't upgrade because I don't want
to fix something that is not broken.  But I do want to replace
root=/dev/hda1 with root=LABEL=root.  Do newer versions of extlinux support
that?  Let's say they do.  How can I tell weather the extlinux, I am
otherwise happy with, support that feature?

>> 2) Is there a directive to add to the conf file, to see that information
>> while booting?
>
> It's printed during booting automatically, or you can press Ctrl-V at
> the boot: prompt.

  I haven't noticed that printing.  Can it be because I am printing my own
text to the screen while booting?  The problem I have with the Ctrl-v is that
I have to remember that.  I think it would be easier to add a directive to
the configuration file that will print it automatically.  As an aside, where
is that ctrl-V documented, as well as similar commands?