[syslinux] Issues Booting Hybrid ISO from UFD on Dell PC

mwesten mwesten at verizon.net
Thu Apr 15 16:27:48 PDT 2010

> On 04/15/2010 10:57 AM, mwesten wrote:
>> Hi, I would like to ask if there are any known issues with booting an
>> ISOLINUX hybrid iso image from a USB Flash Drive on older Dell PC's (i.e.
>> P4
>> 2.2GHz).  I've tried several that one should just be able to write to UFD
>> and boot, but they all fail on my hardware.  I get "isolinux.bin missing
>> or
>> corrupt" message on screen. This function would be very convenient for
>> me,
>> so I'd like to find out if there's anything I can do to get it working.
>> Thanks!
>
> A lot of older machines have problem with USB booting in general, and
> with isohybrid in general.  On some machines you can make it work by
> either tweaking the parameters to isohybrid (especially -s 63 -h 255 on
> some systems, -offset 1 on others, and -entry 4 on even some others), or
> by changing the settings in the BIOS; in particular, you may need to
> change between "USB-HDD" and "USB-ZIP".
>
> -hpa

Thank you.

My BIOS does not have options for USB-FDD/ZIP/HDD/CD, as the type is
detected at boot time.  UFD's appear as "USB Flash Device" and boot in
USB-HDD mode.  If I burn one of these ISO's to a CD and boot it, some have
an "Install to USB" option which installs SYSLINUX as the bootloader, and
that does create a bootable UFD for me.  I'd just like to skip those steps
if I can...

I will try running the isohybrid script (with parameter tweaks) on the ISO's
myself and see if that helps.