[syslinux] Growing out of floppy images, what's the best alternative?

Lindgren Daniel daniel.lindgren at tullverket.se
Mon Apr 19 23:39:31 PDT 2010

> I would go with just booting the HDD image... you can wrap
> that image in an ISO and burn it to disc, but almost no BIOS
> will boot it in my experience.  At that point you're better
> off burning
> isolinux+memdisk+the HDD image to CD.

Using the HDD image directly seems to be the consensus, I'll go with
that. No DOS drivers needed, plenty of space to grow, easy to maintain,
(should be) compatible with most BIOS:es. Using ISOLINUX to boot the HDD
image off an ISO is a simple solution for non-networked machines.

The best way (for me) is probably to use a virtual machine with DOS
installed to HDD; easy to create, update and test. Exporting to a
bootable image is only a matter of booting off a Knoppix live CD and
dd'ing the HDD to file, optionally gzipping it to reduce load time.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cheers,
Daniel