[syslinux] Path simple menu integrated progress indicator

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Apr 23 11:43:13 PDT 2010

On 04/23/2010 08:41 AM, Ayvaz, James wrote:
> This patch modifies the simple menu com32 program to include integrated load progress.  It also adds new options to the simple menu configuration
>
> MENU LOADMSG -- allows the user to specify the text to display when loading
> MENU LOADMSGROW -- controls where the text is written
>
> Example configuration:
> MENU LOADMSG Booting
> MENU LOADMSGROW 25
>

> It works with my setup, please let me know if you find any bugs or spot any problems.  Thank you.

Overall good work, but there are some technical details of this that I
really don't like.

a) It is totally broken for anything which isn't a Linux kernel.  Say,
for example, that someone is trying to boot Xen via mboot.c32.  This
patch will make it try to load mboot.c32 as if it had been a Linux kernel!

b) It duplicates a lot of code already in linux.c32, but doesn't put it
in a library.  Instead it open-codes it in execute.c.

c) I'm not sure that it makes sense to have a different function for
loadfile with callback.  In fact, a set of sensible callbacks is also a
requirement for the future of gfxboot, and I'm thinking more that it
might make more sense to have an interface that looks more like:

	register_callback(CB_LOADFILE, mycallback);

	/* ... possible multiple intervening layers ... */
	loadfile();

	register_callback(CB_LOADFILE, NULL);

... or something like that.  One of the questions, I guess, is if there
is ever a need for *multiple* callbacks.  I suspect it would make life a
little simpler if there isn't.