[syslinux] Replace grub with extlinux

Face falazemi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:14:51 PDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Face <falazemi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:53 AM, Gert Hulselmans <gerth at zytor.com> wrote:
>> Face wrote:
>>>
>>> so,Do i need UI menu.c32? b/c i did try to boot with out the initrd
>>> but it did boot .
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sincerely,
>>>

>> If you don't need a menu to select different items, you don't need it.
>> Then you can replace "UI menu.c32" with: "DEFAULT 1" (where the word after
>> default is the name of the LABEL you want to boot).
>>
>> Read also the docs in doc/ of the syslinux archive file:
>>  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/
>>
>> - Gert Hulselmans

> Well, thank you all for the help ,however i have one more request !
>
> I will try to work on the subject tomorrow and if it did work, could i
> come back and ask again ?
>
> --
> Sincerely,

hello all,

well, I install a fresh copy on linux from scratch and try to replace
grub2 with extlinux.
and here what i did

- remove grub2

- add new Partition:
       mkdir -pv /mnt/sdb1
       mke2fs -jv /dev/sdb1
       mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1
       mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

- Installing extlinux
       extract syslinux-4.02.tar.gz
       cd syslinux-4.02
       make installer
       make install

       dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=446 count=1
       dd if=/usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/sdb
       install -d /mnt/sdb1/boot
       /sbin/extlinux --install /mnt/sdb1/boot

- Writing extlinux.conf file
		ExtlinuxConf=/mnt/sdb1/boot/extlinux.conf
		echo "DEFAULT test" > $ExtlinuxConf
		echo "LABEL test" >> $ExtlinuxConf
		echo "	KERNEL /boot/vmlinux-2.6.34" >> $ExtlinuxConf
		echo " 	APPEND rw root=/dev/sda1 ro quiet splash" >> $ExtlinuxConf
		echo "	TIMEOUT 100" >> $ExtlinuxConf
		echo "	PROMPT 1" >> $ExtlinuxConf

- Copy vmlinux to boot Partition
         cp /boot.old/vmlinux-2.6.34 \
                       /mnt/sdb1/boot/vmlinux-2.6.34

my fstab look like this
         /dev/sda1      /                  ext3          defaults
           1        1
         /dev/sdb1      /boot            ext3         defaults
         0        1
         /dev/sda5      swap            swap        pri=1
        0        0
         proc              /proc            proc         defaults
             0        0
         sysfs             /sys             sys          defaults
              0      0
         devpts           /dev/pts        devpts     gid=4,mode=620
   0      0
         tmpfs            /dev/shm       tmpfs      defaults
         0      0

and when i reboot my box, it did not show any error just a "Booting
from hard disk " or something like that  and it freeze

i am not sure what i am missing here?

--
Sincerely,