[syslinux] High Resolution Console

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 04:48:30 PDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 04:26, Face <falazemi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> How can i get High Resolution Console? I try
> UI vesamenu.c32
> LABEL AlDimnaOS
>        KERNEL /vmlinux-2.6.34-AlDimnaOS-0.0.0.1
>        APPEND rw root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet vga=773
>

> in grub, resolution is passes from grub to the Console. and i am
> thinking the same with extlinux ?

For linux or vesamenu.c32?  vesamenu.c32 has a default and can be
adjusted with 'MENU RESOLUTION height width' (see doc/menu.txt).

For linux, I see you're passing 'vga=773', which will attempt VESA
mode 0x105 (261 + 512), 1024x768 at 8bit color.  Pay attention to the
output the kernel gives you just after decompression as it may tell
you the mode is unsupported.  I have 3 machines (all over 7 years old)
that don't work well with the linux VESA driver but work well with the
Windows XP driver.

--
-Gene