[syslinux] help

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Tue Aug 17 19:53:30 PDT 2010

On 8/17/2010 3:00 PM, Prof S W Damle wrote:
> Hello Sir,
>
> Following is the extract of my syslinux.cfg file with Syslinux-3.86 and
> is working fine.
>
> DEFAULT vesamenu.c32
>
> # main entries
> #
> label localboot
>    menu default
>    menu label ^0. Boot MBR
>    kernel chain.c32
>    append hd0 0
>
> # this  boots WinXP/Win98/Win2000
> label Boot Hard Disk
>    menu default
>    menu label ^1. Boot WinXP/Win98/Win2000
>    kernel  chain.c32
>    append hd0 1
>
> LABEL cmdcons  =>Windows Recovery Console
> MENU LABEL ^2.cmdcons  =>Windows Recovery Console
>   COM32 chain.c32
>    APPEND hd0 1 cmldr=cmldr
>
> LABEL grub4dos
> MENU LABEL ^3.grub4dos
>    COM32 chain.c32
>    APPEND file=/grldr/grldr
>
> #
> label  ** PROGRAMS (Exe/Com type)
> #
>
> LABEL nu2
> MENU LABEL ^1. GHOST -->Tool to get Windows partition images
>   kernel /DiskImages/memdisk
>    append initrd=/DiskImages/WnimGho.img
>
> LABEL nu2
> MENU LABEL ^2. INSERT\partimage -->Tool to get LinuxPartition_UsbDrv Img
>
>   kernel /DiskImages/memdisk
>    append initrd=/DiskImages/BtInsUSB.img
>
> LABEL nu2
> MENU LABEL ^7. Boot to ^DOS  Volkov Commander
>   kernel /DiskImages/memdisk
>    append initrd=/DiskImages/Vc.ima
>
> LABEL nu2
> MENU LABEL ^10. Boot Knoppix3.3
> kernel Knx33.bin
>
> #
> label ** Bootable Floppies:
> #
>
> LABEL nu2
>    MENU LABEL ^7.  DosBt622  -->R&S Drives
>   kernel /FloppyImages/memdisk
>    append initrd=/FloppyImages/DosBt622.img
>
> #
> label ** ^ ISO cd images:
> #
>
>   LABEL Plpbt
>   MENU LABEL ^1. Plpbt
>    KERNEL /ISOimages/memdisk
>    INITRD /ISOimages/Plpbt.iso
>    APPEND iso
>
> #
> # memdisk operates on/with ".img/.ima/.iso" files
> #
> LABEL testing ".img/.iso" files
>    MENU LABEL ** ^TEST IMG/ISO File.
>    kernel /test/memdisk
>   initrd  test/filename.iso
>   append  iso
> TEXT HELP
> Press [Tab]>Use  (i) iso  initrd=filename.iso OR (ii)
> initrd=filename.extn
> ENDTEXT
> ---------------------------------------------In order to update to
> Syslinux-4.02 tried hard but NOT successful, except the following:
>
>    menu default
> [...]

I doubt you will find anyone who will rewrite your config for you,
unless they are all nicer then I am..

I see, what I believe to be are several errors with your setup, which
would probably cause your problems.

In your 3.86 example, you use 'label nu2' repeatedly. I believe labels
need to be unique, and shouldn't repeat. I also believe label should not
have any spaces in the name (I remember seeing some noise on this, I
honestly don't remember if spaces in the label name are accepted).

In all of your examples, you repeat 'menu default'. I again may be
wrong, but I believe you may only use that once per menu (file).

I could be wrong on all of this advise, I haven't updated my pxe stuff
in about a year, but I would start there to see if it improves your
situation.

Lastly, I believe the syntax hasn't changed between 3.8 and 4.02, but
due to code base changes, It may have become stricter.

Please try correcting per my suggestions, and report what problems you
are having, as you may get more help that way.

HTH

-Andrew