[syslinux] Announcing EXT2FS lib for syslinux

Don Hiatt donhiatt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 14:40:08 PDT 2010

Here is the initial release:

	git://github.com/donhiatt/Syslinux-EXT2FS-Library-port.git

I am very new to git so I hope I managed to get the repo setup properly.

The repo is branched from 'disklib' as I plan to use it for all disk
read/write access (I'm currently using modified gpllib/disk/* -- see
README).

Cheers,

don

-----

README for ext2fs module.

* Description
  -----------
  A sample module to exercise the EXT2FS library.

* Compiling
  ---------
  * Just type 'make' and then copy 'ext2fs.c32' to your SYSLINUX boot
disk.

* Usage
  -----
  Usage: ext2fs.c32 /dev/hd[a-z][1-9] cmd cmd-options
  e.g. /dev/hda1 would be the first partition of the first (discovered)
disk

  Examples:
  * Display a text file
    ext2fs.c32 /dev/hdb1 cat /root/file.txt
  * Copy a file
    ext2fs.c32 /dev/hdb1 cp /root/file.txt /root/newfile.txt
  * Display a directory
    ext2fs.c32 /dev/hdb1 ls /boot
  * Make a directory
    ext2fs.c32 /dev/hdb1 mkdir /foo
  * Remove a file
    ext2fs.c32 /dev/hdb1 rm /root/file.txt

* WARNING, Caveat Emptor!!!
  ----------
  * Use this at YOUR OWN RISK.

* KNOWN BUGS (As of Wed Aug 25 14:09:33 PDT 2010)
  ----------
  * SYSLINUX does cache file entries so don't write to your boot disk.
    This can be fixed in the future by exporting a SYSLINUX API to force
    it to invalidate/flush its cache.

  * For disk read/write I am currently using modified gpllib/disk/*
code.
    These changes will probably break other modules and I plan to revert
them
    when I switch to the new "disklib" branch in the very near future.

  * Under QEMU, I create a 10G image and installed Ubuntu 10.04 (EXT4)
    and can not get a directory of "/etc"

  * Copy a file uses hard-coded file permissions &755, gid=uid=0)

* Questions, comments, Bug reports (Patches appreciated!)