[syslinux] MEMDISK ISO Drive 0xE0

Gert Hulselmans gerth at zytor.com
Wed Dec 1 18:23:30 PST 2010

Miller, Shao wrote:
> Good day Gert Hulselmans,
>
> You had reported to me at one point that MEMDISK -> .ISO -> ISOLINUX had
> failed under certain circumstances.  I just noticed with a MEMDISK 3.86
> that specifying the "iso" option on the command-line actually resulted
> in the .ISO getting BIOS drive number 0xFF.  I had to specify "iso
> harddisk=224 pause" to confirm that it resulted in 0xE0 (hd96).
>
> Could you possibly confirm if this is at all related to the issue you
> had reported previously?  If not, would you kindly remind me of the
> details, or was it as simply as "an .ISO with ISOLINUX on it doesn't
> boot from MEMDISK"?
>
> Thank you!
>
> - Shao Miller

I had this problem with at least ISOLINUX 4.00-pre58 (and if I remember
right, also with 4.01-pre1) (inside the ISO) and a MEMDISK version around
the same time.

With MEMDISK 4.03 and ISOLINUX 4.02 inside the ISO, the problem doesn't
happen anymore.

A new issue I noticed:
I have a larger screen now, and I noticed that MEMDISK writes various
lines over each other when loading the image. (Maybe the lines on my
screen are bigger than the default and MEMDISK gets confused?)

- Gert