[syslinux] PXE linux starts slowly

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Wed Dec 15 05:35:00 PST 2010

Hallo, H. Peter,

Du meintest am 02.12.10:

>> Thanks for your quick response, what exactly do you mean with the
>> deaf receiver syndrom? The PXE rom was able to retrieve the
>> pxelinux.0 file, but pxelinux does not receive anything. Do you
>> think it is hardware related or is it a bug in the ethernet driver?

> A bug in the Ethernet driver.  You might try substituting gpxelinux.0
> for pxelinux.0, since they call the network stack differently.

Maybe a problem with some of my Thinkpad laptops is related. Some have
the Intel Pro 100 (e100), some T40 have the Intel Gigabit (e1000, not
e1000e).

Booting over the e1000 is very slow (something like 300 Baud). Booting
over e100 (or other NICs on other machines) works well.

Syslinux 4.03 (and some older versions). Changing from pxelinux.0 to
gpxelinux.0 (or back) doesn't change the boot speed.

When booting via PXE has finished and the desired distribution is
installed the transfer speed is high, as expected - the NIC seems to be
ok.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut