[syslinux] PXE linux starts slowly

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Thu Dec 16 03:00:00 PST 2010

Hallo, H.,

Du meintest am 15.12.10:

>> But if I remember correctly that slow booting came with some newer
>> pxelinux version (newer than 3.84).
>> Perhaps I'll unearth this antique version and take a try ...

> If you can narrow it down to an exact prerelease then that would help
> tracking it down.  If you have the ability to build yourself then
> using "git bisect" is even better.

I like debugging ...

Seems that the problem isn't related to the pxelinux.0 version but to
something related to menus etc.

Quite small "/tftpboot" directory, with only 1 program:

LABEL LINBO
KERNEL linbo
APPEND initrd=linbofs.gz acpi=off noapic nolapic irqpoll pci=routeirq pnpbios=off nomce vga=785 quiet

that works with full speed.

Big "/tftpboot" directory, with menus and submenus:

"default" with:

# klonen
LABEL Klonen
	MENU LABEL ^Klonen
	kernel menu.c32
	append conf/clonen.conf zurueck.txt

  with "conf/clonen.conf":

   include conf/linbo.conf

   with "conf/linbo.conf"

    # linbo.conf
    LABEL LINBO
    MENU LABEL Linbo
    KERNEL linbo/linbo
    APPEND initrd=linbo/linbofs.gz acpi=off noapic nolapic irqpoll pci=routeirq pnpbios=off nomce vga=785 server=192.168.0.1
    # one long APPEND line

runs awfully slow.

It's no problem only with this program, I've choosen it only because its
original PXE routine only needs "pxelinux.0".

And I have built this menu structure together with a newer pxelinux
version (something like 4.00).

Where flies the bug?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut