[syslinux] Boot Error GPT partition

Miller, Shao shao.miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Thu Dec 30 03:53:51 PST 2010

Good day Keshav,

If you install gptmbr.bin on the MBR and re-install Syslinux to
whichever GPT partition is marked as bootable and if you reboot and make
sure the CAPS LOCK LED is on before the BIOS tries to boot the HDD (or
if you hold shift down for the whole boot), do you get the Syslinux
"boot:" prompt?  Somewhat similarly, if you modify your Syslinux
config-file, are you changes reflected in the booting behaviour?

What I'm wondering is if you are getting as far as loading Syslinux or
not.  If you are chaining to a partition and that partition's boot
sector is the producer of the "Boot error" message, then perhaps that
partition needs some boot code installed to it (such as Syslinux).

You might be able to determine which partition is being invoked:

  dd if=/dev/sda8 of=bootsect.bin count=1
  strings bootsect.bin | grep "Boot error"

(Repeat for each other suspect partition.)

I'd suggest using the debug-build of chain.c32 to dump what it thinks
the partition table is, but I'm not sure you are actually loading
Syslinux.

Also, this might seem a silly question, but: Do you have a USB storage
device plugged into the computer somewhere, perhaps BIOS might be
booting it, or confusing matters?

If you can track down the partition that "says" "Boot error", that might
be a start towards understanding.

- Shao Miller