[syslinux] [gPXE] Local Boot + SW Raid

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 22:29:09 PST 2010

This is worth forwarding to SYSLINUX.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Randy McAnally <rsm at fast-serv.com> wrote:
> For some reason I cannot local boot (the default) from any software RAID
> system (where the boot partition is linux raid).  It hangs at "Booting from
> local disk..." but never exits the pxe rom and just sits there requiring a reboot.

Which RAID level are you using?  I think RAID-0 and RAID-1 should work
fine - the bootloader does not need to be aware.  I don't know how
booting from the other RAID levels is supposed to work.

> All other booting methods (network based) work fine.
>
> If I swap out gpxelinux.0 with the legacy pxelinux.0 that comes with CentOS
> and use the same config, local boot works just fine.

Perhaps the PXELINUX in your gpxelinux.0 and CentOS pxelinux.0 are of
different versions.  To determine for sure whether gPXE is involved in
this issue, please build gpxelinux.0 and pxelinux.0 from the same
SYSLINUX source tree.