[syslinux] Boot from local disk broken with 3.85-pre5?

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Thu Feb 4 14:33:28 PST 2010

Hi all:

I was trying to test the new gpxelinux stuff in the release, but got
stuck when gpxelinux hung on the serial console with console
redirection enabled. (It looks like a bug and I lodged one with the
etherboot folks.)

However I also tested the pxelinux.0 to reinstall a host.  The initial
boot and system load went fine, but on the reboot after the load, it
network booted into the pxelinux.0 menu and I attempted to get it to
boot from disk. In the default pxelinux.cfg file I have:

# define a mode to boot from local disk
label disk
  menu label Boot local ^Disk
  localboot 0

when I pxebooted using the 3.85-pre5 pxelinux.0, I did get the prompt
as expected, but when I typed disk, it looks like pxelinux exited I got
an exit message from the pxe rom, and then the system hung.

When I power cycled the machine and pxebooted with the 3.84 release of
pxelinux.0 typing disk at the prompt got the same pxe bios exit
message, it then attempted to pxeboot from the second interface on
the system (which failed since there was no network cable hooked up)
and then it proceeded to boot from the hard drive as expected.

I was able to reproduce the hang on two consecutive boots with the
pxelinux.0 and .c32 modules from the 3.85-pre5 release.

Has anybody seen a similar problem, or are there any code changes that
could explain this?

--
				-- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111