[syslinux] Syslinux 3.85-pre7: new tool "sysdump"

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sun Feb 7 00:20:11 PST 2010

So I realized I really need a better way to collect information from
problematic machines, so I spent today rewriting the old memdump tool
into a new "sysdump" tool.  sysdump can write its output either to a
serial port using ymodem[1] or over the network using TFTP *if* it was
booted from the network, using PXELINUX.

John R.: I would obviously like you to try this on the machine that was
having problems doing local boot.

To use it, you need a TFTP server which is set up to have an area in
which files can be *uploaded*.  For tftp-hpa, this usually involves the
-c and sometimes -p options.

Once that is done, boot to the pxelinux command line and enter:

sysdump tftp /path/on/server servername.domain

... where "/path/on/server" is the filename you want the data written to
on the TFTP server, and servername.domain is the TFTP server itself
(either a DNS name or an IP address).

The resulting data file is a gzipped cpio archive with information about
the system.

	-hpa

[1] not actually tested yet.
[2] or possibly involving some gPXE hacking.