[syslinux] anyone using pxelinux.0 > 3.36 successfully with HP DLXXX G3, G5?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Feb 15 07:53:57 PST 2010

On 02/15/2010 12:04 AM, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> Hello *
>
> this morning I tried to upgrade from pxelinux 3.11 to 3.84 and
> discovered that the localboot stuff does not work on HP DL360 G3 and G5.
>
> The latest syslinux Version I found with a working localboot is 3.36.
>
> pxelinux.cfg/default:
>
> default harddisk
> prompt 1
>
> label harddisk
>   localboot 0
>
> implicit        0
> timeout         250
>
> This so simple, it should just work, shouldn't it?
>
> The BIOS Versions are
>
> G3 BIOS: P31(03/03/2005)
> G5 BIOS: P58(07/10/2009)
>
> Probably it doesn't work for G1,G2 and G6 Systems.
>
> Is this a known limitation of the newer pxelinux Version?

It is a known limitation of some HP BIOSes... they have an extremely
severe bug which sometimes bites.  The workaround you mention (using
localboot 0x80 or chain.c32 hd0) is pretty much the only option.

I and Michael Brown were in touch with HP about this and the bug has
been root-caused; unfortunately it is utterly infeasible to work around
this particular breakage.