[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.85 released

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Feb 20 22:15:46 PST 2010

Syslinux 3.85 is a bug fix and minor new feature release.  The biggest
change is undoubtedly that gPXELINUX is now considered feature
complete, and should be able to be a drop-in for PXELINUX for all uses.

Special thanks to Intel Corporation, my current employer, for their
support for my Syslinux work.

Changes in 3.85:
        * gPXELINUX: updated to gPXE 1.0.0.  gPXELINUX can now do NBP
          chainloading, and does not require a second DHCP.
        * vesamenu.c32: unbreak the default "grey hole" background.
        * We no longer have a built-in default of "linux auto".
          Instead, if no DEFAULT or UI statement is found, or the
          configuration file is missing entirely, we drop to the boot:
          prompt with an error message (if NOESCAPE is set, we stop
          with a "boot failed" message; this is also the case for
          PXELINUX if the configuration file is not found.)
        * chain.c32: support chainloading Grub4DOS; patch by Gert
          Hulselmans.
        * New tool: sysdump.c32, can be used to produce system
          information for debugging via tftp or ymodem (serial port).
        * "vga=current" on the Linux command line is now supported.
        * chain.c32: support for Windows Recovery Console, via the
          "cmldr=" option.
        * chain.c32: should now support loading NTLDR from different
          type media than loaded from.
        * chain.c32: support chainloading to a FAT/NTFS partition with
          invalid "hidden sectors" via the "sethidden" option.
        * memdisk: fix the mBFT ACPI table.
        * vesamenu.c32: if the image is smaller than the screen, tile
          it across the whole screen.
        * mkdiskimage: -s option for producing a sparse image.
        * vesamenu.c32: support arbitrary resolution setting (beyond
          BIOS support) on some Intel-based video chipsets.  This code
          is a modified version of the "915resolution" tool by
          Steve Tomljenovic; your mileage might vary.

Begin3
Title:          syslinux
Version:        3.85
Entered-date:   2010-02-20

                operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
                filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
                using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs.  The FAT
                filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
                Linux.

                It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
                modules, including a significant subset of the
                standard C library.

                It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
                operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
                or CD-ROM.

                This version includes gPXE, to allow accessing network
                files via other protocols than TFTP.