[syslinux] isolinux.cfg parsing issue

gettinther gettinther at unity-linux.org
Wed Feb 24 13:57:28 PST 2010

On 24 February 2010 17:14, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 02/24/2010 06:49 AM, gettinther wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been trying to setup a dual livecd.  However I am getting an
>> error with parsing the isolinux.cfg.  I am using 3.84.
>>
>> the relevant section of the isolinux.cfg is as follows
>>
>> label LiveCD1
>>     kernel vmlinuz1
>>     append livecd=livecd1 initrd=initrd1.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on
>> splash=silent vga=788 keyb=us fstab=rw,noauto
>> label LiveCD2
>>     kernel vmlinuz2
>>     append livecd=livecd2 initrd=initrd2.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on
>> splash=silent vga=788 keyb=us fstab=rw,noauto
>>
>> When written this way, both selections end up opening the same
>> squashfs image (livecd1).
>> If I write it the other way around:
>>
>> label LiveCD2
>>     kernel vmlinuz2
>>     append livecd=livecd2 initrd=initrd2.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on
>> splash=silent vga=788 keyb=us fstab=rw,noauto
>> label LiveCD1
>>     kernel vmlinuz1
>>     append livecd=livecd1 initrd=initrd1.gz root=/dev/rd/3 acpi=on
>> splash=silent vga=788 keyb=us fstab=rw,noauto
>>
>> then both selections end up opening the livecd2 image.
>> The proper append values seem to be parsed if I offer different options.
>>
>> Not sure where to look on this one.
>>

> How did you master your disc?  Did you try to look at your disc with
> "mount -t iso9660 -o norock,nojoliet"?
>
>        -hpa
>
> --
> H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.

I used genisoimage to create the iso.

genisoimage -pad -l -R -J -v -v -V 'livecd' -A 'test' -b
isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -hide-rr-moved
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o livecd.iso
/home/me/Documents

I simply mounted the iso with mount -o loop name_of_iso /path/to/the/mount/point

I created 2 separate isos and simply joined them in one section prior
to rebuilding the image.  I then ran the image in vbox to test both
configuration.

the linuxrc contained inside the the initrd parses the /proc/cmdline
with BASEIMG="${x#livecd=}" to find the squashfs image and invariably
picks the first image in the isolinux.cfg