[syslinux] chain.c32 add grldr= command for Grub4dos

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Jan 9 13:37:08 PST 2010

On 01/09/2010 06:38 AM, Kim Mik wrote:
> $ git log -p
> commit d8c5e94803fa01f0d52475a50b69681ad3135700
> Author: Gert Hulselmans <kimmik999999 at yahoo.co.uk>
> Date:   Sat Jan 9 15:30:49 2010 +0100
>
>     chain.c32: Add grldr= command for Grub4dos
>
>     grldr of Grub4dos wants the partition number in DH:
>       0xff: whole drive
>       0-3:  primary partitions
>       4-*:  logical partitions

Hmmm... there really isn't a huge reason not to do this unconditionally,
at least unless it's known to cause problems.  It would be better, of
course, if grldr used the standard DS:SI, but it doesn't, so oh well.

It's the same thing with io.sys, which wants BL set -- it doesn't break
anything else, so we just do it unconditionally.

(Of course, there is the oddball issue of what happens on a
nonconventional partition format, but that's not an issue for chain.c as
currently written.)