[syslinux] "Boot error" message

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jan 11 13:17:45 PST 2010

On 01/11/2010 11:25 AM, braiamserafim at terra.com.br wrote:
>  I'm using the formatting tool provided by manufacturer. I read the
> flash in raw mode and I realized that fat entries are out of FAT
> Directory Entries sectors. According to superblock the fat entries
> can be written between 13rd and 28th sectors. But if I copy any file
> into flash by FreeDOS, a FAT dir entry is created after the 41st
> sector. Under Linux, all is written correctly.

Directory entries aren't FAT entries.  Completely different things.

I'm not sure what you're implying is "correct" here, but the fundamental
issue remains the same: if it is mounted as a floppy, and it has a
floppy device number in the BIOS (00-7Fh) the heads/sectors geometry
numbers that go into the superblock must match the BIOS.